What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
Personal injury law is a case where harm is caused to one individual because another individual failed to use reasonable care. Personal injury lawyers recognize a tort as a legal reason to sue the offender in order to recover the losses caused by some type of harm.
The process of recovering damages is something that you will need an experienced personal injury law firm to handle, as it may even involve the expected future losses and damages as well as the actual present losses. Some of the specific damages a person can sue for are certain medical expenses related to physical harm, damage to property, pain and suffering, loss of your earning capacity, and sometimes the legal costs and personal injury attorney fees. The main goal of tort law and personal injury law is to make the injured party whole again, and to discourage others from committing the same offense in the future.
What Types of Claims Should Involve a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Accidents – Personal injury rules apply in situations where someone acts in a negligent manner, and that carelessness causes harm to another person. These are accidents that could have been avoided if proper care was taken
- Intentional Harm – Personal injury lawyers can help in situations of intentional harm, such as assault, where criminal charges may also be present. This is situations where a defendant’s intentional conduct causes harm to another person
- Defective Products – Makers of products sold to the public are liable for damages to individuals from defective products. A personal injury lawyer can help in cases of harm from these defective goods
- Defamation – Personal injury laws apply when one person’s defamatory statement causes harm to another person’s reputation. A personal injury attorney can help you determine if defamation against your name has resulted in any current or future losses
What are Some Common Types of Personal Injury Lawsuits?
Here are some of the most common types and areas of lawsuits you will find a personal injury lawyer is well versed in:
- Wrongful Death Claims
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Burn Injury Claims
- Defective Products
- Construction Accidents
- Brain Injury Claims
- Dog Bite Claims
- Premises Liability Claims
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- DWI Accidents
- Uninsured Motorists
- Bicycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Boating Accidents
Why Choose an Experienced Lawyer to Represent Your Claim?
This field of law is extremely complicated and controversial. There are many people who are actively seeking tort reform in an effort to decrease these types of lawsuits, the amount of damages that may be recovered, and the contingency fees attorneys may charge.
This is actually unnecessary though. Many jurisdictions have small claims courts that hear personal injury cases wherein a small recovery amount is sought, which falls under a set threshold. Most personal injury claims are settled outside of court in settlements. Court cases can be lengthy and costly, having a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer on your side can mean the difference in long drawn out cases and reaching a settlement in a swift manner.
Choosing a personal injury law firm is a big decision. Consider using a law firm that is an expert in the field of personal injury law to ensure your case is handled appropriately.
Click Here to learn more.